Waffled Crab Cakes
Dust off that waffle machine to make these fast and delicious Waffled Crab Cakes! This is so genius you’re going to wonder why you haven’t thought of this sooner. The crab cakes cook perfectly in the center, with golden edges in less than 3 minutes! And you get perfect little square pockets to hold the lemon juice or tartar sauce.
And if you’re like me, and don’t cook a ton of waffles you’ll be happy you have a new use for your appliance. Oh the possibilities, what else should I make on my waffle iron? I shared these on Instagram (do you follow Skinnytaste on Instagram?) last week and everyone went crazy! They are great as an appetizer, but I served them over lettuce and enjoyed them as a salad. They are so light you can have two over a bed of greens, or make a crabby patty served in a potato roll with some tartar. Enjoy!
Waffled Crab Cakes
- 9 ounces lump crab meat, shell pieces removed
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs, plain or gluten-free*
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- few dashes tabasco, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- cooking spray, I use a mister
- 4 lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the panko crumbs, egg, mayonnaise, dijon, chives, parsley, lemon juice, Old Bay, paprika, tabasco, salt and pepper. Mix well, then fold in crab meat, careful not to over mix.
- Gently shape into round, flattened patties with your hands, about 1/2 cup each. Makes 4 patties.
- Heat the waffle iron on high, spray with oil.
- Place one in the center and close gently, cook until the edges are golden, about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.