Chicken Marsala Meatballs
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
These Chicken Marsala Meatballs are a fun twist in the classic dish! Great served over butternut squash or egg noodles.
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms (divided)
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken
- 1/3 cup whole wheat seasoned or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (plus more for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Finely chop half of the Cremini mushrooms and transfer to a medium bowl with the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, Pecorino, egg, 1 clove of the minced garlic, parsley, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper, to taste.
Gently shape into 25 small meatballs, bake 15 to 18 minutes, until golden.
In a small bowl whisk the flour with the Marsala wine and broth.
Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
Add the butter, garlic and shallots and cook until soft and golden, about 2 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes.
Return the meatballs to the pot, pour the Marsala wine mixture over the meatballs, cover and cook 10 minutes.
Garnish with parsley.
Serving: 5meatballs with mushrooms, Calories: 248kcal, Carbohydrates: 13g, Protein: 21g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 121mg, Sodium: 580mg, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 4.5g
Freestyle Points: 5
Points +: 6