Chicken Marsala Meatballs
These Chicken Marsala Meatballs are a fun twist in the classic dish! Great served over butternut squash or egg noodles.
I recently went to my local Italian specialty store and saw these behind the glass case, and knew I had to make them! Tommy’s not a fan of mushrooms so I wasn’t sure what he would think but he loved them! I sliced the mushrooms very thin which I highly recommend rather than buying them pre-sliced. They melt in you mouth!
I served mine over butternut squash noodles and regular noodles for the rest of the family. I attempted to make this in the Instant Pot, but they stuck too much to the bottom, so I baked them instead and finished them in a skillet – perfection!
How To Make Chicken Marsala Meatballs
A few more ways you can serve them:
- I bet this would make a great meatball sub with melted mozzarella and whole wheat Italian bread
- Roasted spaghetti squash makes a great low-carb noodle swap
- Serve them over mashed potatoes or cauliflower puree
I have a bit of a meatball obsession! I have SO many recipes I can open my own meatball shop… Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, Salisbury Steak Meatballs, Turkey Meatball Stroganoff Meatballs, Beef and Broccoli Rabe Meatballs, Italian Beef and Spinach Meatballs, Slow Cooker Italian Turkey Meatballs, Giant Turkey Meatball Parm, Asian Turkey Meatballs with Gochujang Glaze, Asian Turkey Meatballs with Lime Dipping Sauce, Sweet and Spicy Turkey Meatballs with Bacon and BBQ Sauce, Southwestern Turkey Meatballs, Greek Turkey Meatballs, Vegetarian Zucchini Meatballs, and Eggplant Meatballs. What should I make next?
Chicken Marsala Meatballs
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms, divided
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken
- 1/3 cup whole wheat seasoned or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Finely chop half of the Cremini mushrooms and transfer to a medium bowl with the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, Pecorino, egg, 1 clove of the minced garlic, parsley, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Gently shape into 25 small meatballs, bake 15 to 18 minutes, until golden.
- In a small bowl whisk the flour with the Marsala wine and broth.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the butter, garlic and shallots and cook until soft and golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Return the meatballs to the pot, pour the Marsala wine mixture over the meatballs, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.