Turkey Meatball Stroganoff (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or Stove)
This healthy Turkey Meatball Stroganoff is a dish the whole family will love, made in the Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or Stove!
Comfort food the whole family will love! These delicious turkey meatballs are simmered in a sour cream mushroom sauce, SO good! Perfect over egg noodles or serve them over spiralized butternut squash noodles if you want to lower the carbs.
My family is pretty meatball obsessed, as you may have noticed (hello giant meatball parmesan!). I love coming up with new unique meatball ideas and this one did not disappoint.
These were inspired by my Salisbury Steak Meatballs, which are similar with some differences. These are made with all turkey, and they are simmered in a light creamy sauce made with sour cream – it’s wonderful! I’ve included directions for the pressure cooker, slow cooker or stove top.
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Turkey Meatball Stroganoff (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or Stove Top)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound 93% ground turkey
- 1/3 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, divided
- 3 tbsp fat free milk
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons beef Bouillon, I like Better Than Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or set the Instant Pot to saute and spray with oil; saute the onions over medium heat until golden, stirring 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and divide in two.
- In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions with the ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, 2 tbsp of the parsley, milk, 3/4 tsp salt and black pepper. Gently shape into 20 meatballs.
- In a blender combine the water, sour cream, flour, tomato paste, boullion, Worcestershire sauce and paprika, blend until smooth.
- Heat the skillet or Instant Pot back on saute, add the oil and brown half of the meatballs without disturbing (in two batches) about 2 minutes until no longer sticks, turn and brown an additional 2 minutes, set aside on a dish and repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Place all the meatballs and remaining onion into the Instant pot, Slow Cooker or a large saucepan and pour the sauce over the meatballs along with the thyme and mushrooms.
- For the Instant Pot: cook on high pressure 10 minutes. Let the pressure release on it’s own. When done, discard thyme, add the chopped parsley and serve over your favorite noodles.
- For the stove top: add 2 tbsp water, bring to a boil then cook covered on low 20 to 25 minutes. When done, discard thyme, add the chopped parsley and serve over your favorite noodles.
- For slow cooker: cook on low 6 to 8 hours. When done, discard thyme, add the chopped parsley and serve over your favorite noodles.