Pasta Fagioli (Pasta and Beans)
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Pasta Fagioli (Pasta and Beans) is a great tasting, hearty, vegetarian Italian pasta and bean soup, perfect for the cold, super quick and freezer friendly.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 15 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 14 oz each cans fat free chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)
- 2 cups water
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz dry Ditalini pasta or other small pasta (gf pasta for gluten-free)
- grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional
In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
Blend the cup of beans with one can water in electric blender until almost smooth.
Add blended beans to pan then add the can of tomato sauce, celery, carrots, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese (extra).
Calories: 262.5kcal, Carbohydrates: 46g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 46mg, Sodium: 623mg, Fiber: 5.5g, Sugar: 6g
Freestyle Points: 5
Points +: 7