Pasta Fagioli (Pasta and Beans) is a great tasting, hearty, vegetarian Italian pasta and bean soup, perfect for the cold, super quick and freezer friendly.
It’s usually pronounced pasta fazool here in the US, derived from its Neapolitan name, pasta e fasule. I love hearty tomato based soups like this in the colder months, some of my other favorites are Minestrone, Turkey Meatball Soup and Beef and Acini Di Pepe Soup.
When I was young, I wouldn’t eat beans unless my Mom pureed them. It’s something I still do today to get my picky kids to eat them, which also thickens the soup nicely. If you prefer your beans whole, you can skip that step. Serve this with some crusty Italian bread on the side and top with your favorite grated cheese. For an extra special treat, top this with a slice of melted Alpine Lace Swiss, delicious! Vegetarians can use vegetable broth instead.
This can also be frozen and reheated at a later time for make-ahead meals. To freeze let the soup cool then transfer to freezer safe containers. Freeze up to 3 months. To reheat, microwave from frozen or let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
How To Make Pasta Fagioli
More Soup Recipes You Will Love
- Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- Red Lentil Soup with Spinach
Pasta Fagioli (Pasta and Beans)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 15 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 14 oz each cans fat free chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)
- 2 cups water
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz dry Ditalini pasta or other small pasta, gf pasta for gluten-free
- grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional
- In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
- Blend the cup of beans with one can water in electric blender until almost smooth.
- Add blended beans to pan then add the can of tomato sauce, celery, carrots, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese (extra).