Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger
If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy a burger, then I think you’ll love this Hawaiian inspired teriyaki burger made with lean ground beef, carrots, scallions and topped with a homemade pineapple teriyaki sauce and a grilled pineapple.
This was inspired by a trip to Disney World with my husband and youngest daughter Madison. We stayed at the Grand Floridian Resort which was a lovely place to stay. One of those nights we ate dinner at the Kona Cafe at Disney’s Polynesian Resort, where I had a delicious teriyaki steak topped with pineapple; which was the inspiration for this burger recipe.
I did a little research into what goes into a Hawaian teriyaki sauce, and after reading many recipes I came up with my own version which was so good, this will certainly be a regular. You could of course buy teriyaki marinade to speed this up, but making it from scratch tastes sooo much better.
And I just have to share this contraption that easily cuts pineapple into perfect rings. My girlfriend Gabbie bought this for me a few years ago, and I love it; it’s called the Pineapple Easy Slicer. It’s simple to use and it’s awesome. If you prefer canned pineapple, be sure it’s packed in juice and not syrup.
By the way, this is also great without the bun if you’re watching your carbs, just serve it on a bed of lettuce and drizzle the teriyaki sauce on top. Without the bun, the burgers are Weight Watchers 6 points plus.
Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger
- 2 lbs 93% ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce (or more if you like it spicy)
- 8 slices fresh pineapple
- 8 whole wheat 100 calorie buns (I used Martin's)
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, very fine
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Gently combine the ground beef with grated carrots, scallions, ginger, soy sauce and sriracha sauce.
- Form into 8 equal sized patties, try not to overwork the meat so it doesn't get tough.
- Combine the cornstarch in cold water and dissolve. Set aside.
- Mix soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, grated ginger and garlic in small saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Add cornstarch water mixture and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat the grill. When hot clean the grates and spray with oil.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook on high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until burgers are cooked to your liking.
- While the burgers are cooking, grill the pineapple slices for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of each burger bun. Top with the cooked burger and 1 tbsp of teriyaki sauce, then top with grilled pineapple.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1 burger
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 7
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 330
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 584mg
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 21g
- Protein: 29g
Teriyaki sauce recipe adapted from Food.com
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Laura’s Lean Beef. I only share products I am passionate about and use in my own kitchen on a daily basis. I created this recipe and received compensation to do so, hope you enjoy!