Butternut Squash Lasagna Roll Ups with Spinach are made with a creamy butternut-parmesan sauce baked in the oven until melted and hot – trust me, you want these in your life!
Butternut Squash Lasagna Rolls
Last year I fell in love with creamy butternut squash as a pasta sauce and have had this on my mind ever since. Now that the Fall is here it was the perfect time to play around with this idea. You may also enjoy these Spinach Lasagna Rolls Ups and this gluten-free Noodle-less Butternut Squash Chicken Sausage Lasagna.
These lasagna rolls up turned out better than I could have imagined, even my teen daughter who is pretty picky loved these! And, they are meatless so they’re perfect for meatless Mondays or the vegetarians in your life. Trust me, you won’t miss it!
How To Make Butternut Squash Lasagna Roll Ups
To make the creamy butternut squash sauce, I boil the butternut squash until it’s tender, then puree it with enough liquid to create a silky, cream like sauce. Saute the sauce with garlic and shallots and add some Parmesan cheese at the end. The sauce comes out so cream and velvety without all the butter and cream.
To make it gluten-free, you can swap gluten-free noodles in it’s place.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- Pasta with Butternut Sauce and Spicy Sausage
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Seasoned Winter Squash Medley
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
- Roasted Butternut Squash Noodles
Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna Rolls
For the Butternut Parmesan Sauce:
- 1 lb butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh grated parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Lasagna:
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked (use gluten free noodles for gluten free)
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach heated and squeezed well
- 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese I like Polly-o
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- salt and fresh pepper
- 9 tbsp about 3 oz part skim shredded Italian Blend Cheese (I used Sargento)
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add butternut squash and cook until soft.
- Remove squash with a slotted spoon, reserve about 1 cup of the water and set aside, then blend until smooth with an immersion blender, adding 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid to thin out.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep non-stick skillet, add the oil, sauté the shallots and garlic over medium-low heat until soft and golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add pureed butternut squash, season with with salt and fresh cracked pepper and add a little more of the reserved water to thin out to your liking. Stir in 2 1/2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup butternut sauce sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry.
- Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Ladle about 1 cup of sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp Italian cheese blend.
- Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts and everything is hot and bubbly. Top with parsley and serve.
- To serve, ladle a little extra sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.