Sweet and spicy Korean-inspired Gochujang-Honey Glazed Shrimp Skewers are perfect for weeknight cooking because they take less than 10 minutes to cook.
I adapted the sauce from my Gochujang-Glazed Salmon recipe swapping the sugar for honey and it turned out wonderful. Spicy, sweet and flavorful. You’ll brush the glaze on the shrimp a minute before they are fully cooked, then place them on a platter and finish with remaining glaze.
A few tips when making shrimp skewers, be sure to soak the skewers at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning if using bamboo. Doubling up on the skewers helps keep the shrimp in place when you are grilling.
What can I use Instead of Gochujang?
Gochujang is available in many grocery stores or can be purchased on Amazon, this is the one I use (affiliate link). If you need a substitute for Gochujang you can make a paste of 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes moistened with soy sauce and add a little sugar. This will not replicate the complexity but a similar flavor profile.
How To Make Korean Glazed Grilled Shrimp
Gochujang-Honey Glazed Shrimp Skewers
For the Gochujang-Honey Glaze:
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
For the Shrimp:
- 1 lb peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp, weight after peeling
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 8 long wooden skewers, soaked at least 20 minutes
- cooking spray
- 2 tbsp scallions, sliced thin on an angle
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Combine glaze ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Season shrimp with salt and place on doubled skewers to make 4.
- Heat a clean, lightly oiled grill to medium heat, when the grill is hot add the shrimp, careful not to burn the skewers. Grill 4 minutes on one side, turn and cook 2 minutes. Brush the glaze on the shrimp, turn and brush on the remaining side. Cook and additional minute or until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through.
- Transfer to a platter, brush with any remaining glaze and top with sesame seeds and scallions.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.