A Mexican-inspired pasta dish… Chicken fajitas meets pasta night! This easy chicken dinner is made in one pot, for an easy dinner ready in under 30 minutes!
Chicken fajitas always reminds me of my husband, it’s the first dish he ever cooked for me when we were dating and it’s the only dish he orders if we go out for Mexican! So naturally a pasta dish, with chicken, peppers and spices was well received at home when I made this dish. Tommy had the idea to add avocado to the dish, because he loves guacamole with his fajitas and loved it!
This was inspired from my friend Amanda’s recipe over at Kevin & Amanda which I adapted and changed slightly to make a little lighter. I loved how easy this was to make all in one pot, including the pasta!
One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-oz can Mild Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
- 7 oz pasta, use gluten-free pasta for GF
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 scallion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 oz diced avocado, from 1 small
- Season chicken with 3/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
- In a large deep nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the chicken and cook until browned, stirring about 5 to 6 minutes.Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions, bell peppers, and remaining 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, and stir until fragrant and well combined, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and transfer to the plate with the chicken.
- In the same skillet, add the broth, diced tomatoes and uncooked pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes until pasta is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Add the chicken and veggies back into the skillet and stir to combine until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the sour cream and top with scallions and cilantro. Serve with avocado on top.