Bananas Foster Topped Overnight French Toast
Dessert for breakfast? This make-ahead baked French toast casserole topped with Bananas Foster will wow your guests this Easter! Put out some bowls of fresh berries and fruit and your guests wont even know this is a lightened up French Toast.
Check out my other Lightened Up Crème Brûlée French Toast, my inspiration today’s recipe. I brought this over to my cousin Kat’s for New Years morning and being the dessert queen that she is, decided to make Bananas Foster to top it off! It was so absolutely heavenly that I recreated that day with a lighter version of it.
I tested this out on all my family members and everyone loved it. It’s almost like a bread pudding, you could probably even enjoy this for dessert. Hope you enjoy! You can easily double this recipe for a bigger crowd.
Bananas Fosters Topped Overnight French Toast
- cooking spray
- 10 oz Challah bread, sliced 1 inch thick (Hawaiian or Brioche would work)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1-1/2 cups fat free milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup agave or white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Meyers rum or rum extract, optional
For the Banana Topping:
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Meyers rum or 1 tsp rum extract, optional
- 4 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk, vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, agave or sugar, salt and rum until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight for best results.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile while it's baking, in a large deep sauté pan melt light butter over low heat.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and rum and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add a few drops of water if needed and let sauce simmer about 2 minutes.
- Add sliced bananas and remove from heat.
- Keep covered until french toast comes out of the oven. When french toast is cooked, divide among 8 plates and top with bananas. Enjoy!!