This Turkey Cheeseburger Soup recipe is a rich and cheesy bowl of comfort food made on the lighter side. It’s quick and easy, loaded with turkey and potatoes in every bite!
Cheeseburger soup is always a hit with my family! It’s the kind of soup you crave on a cold night. This recipe, from my newest cookbook Skinnytaste One and Done is made all in one pot with directions for the Instant Pot or stove! I’ve partnered with ALDI to give you a sneak peak into the book and share this recipe with you all!
It’s thick and cheesy with chunks of potatoes and turkey. To get it creamy without adding any cream, I add a large piece of cauliflower to the pot and leave it whole, then puree it in the blender with some of the broth. The results are rich and velvety, and so, so good and a great way to sneak cauliflower into your kids dinner!
A little bit about the book, it features 140 Healthy One-Pot Dinner Recipes made in a skillet, sheet pan, slow cooker, pressure cooker, air fryer, Dutch oven, etc. Each chapter is organized by cooking vessel. If you don’t have an air fryer or Instant Pot, no problem! I include alternate directions for stove and oven. Nutritional info is included with each recipe. WW points are not, as they are copyright, but they are all posted here for your convenience!
I just returned from a fun, no-fuss, glamping retreat to celebrate the launch of my new cookbook, which was sponsored by ALDI. We glamped under the stars at Firelight Camps in the Finger Lakes and enjoyed, campfire, smores, and recipes from my cookbook. The weather was a bit chilly, so we bundled up, drank lots of hot cocoa, hot cider, and enjoyed comfort food dishes including this Cheeseburger Soup which everyone loved. There’s so much to do in Ithaca, NY, some highlights of the trip were visiting gorges, hiking, foraging, wine tasting, cider tasting, visiting goat farms, and of course, sharing quality time with this talented group of inspiring women who flew in from all parts of the country to celebrate (I am forever grateful).
On our drive up from the city (it’s about 4 hours from NYC) we stopped at an ALDI store, and loaded up the car with all the ingredients needed to make this Cheeseburger Soup as well as tons of cheese varieties to create these gorgeous boards, plus fruit, nuts, chips, salsa, and plenty of wine and snacks for the week and we were able get everything for so much less than I would have thought!
More info about the soup, you can make this with beef if you prefer. If you are gluten-free this works great with a gluten-free flour mix, all the ingredients below can be found at ALDI.
- 1/2 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, wheat or gluten-free*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 10 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, 2 medium, peeled and finely diced
- 1 12-ounce wedge cauliflower (1/4 of a large head), stem attached
- 1 3/4 cups shredded 2% shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions, for garnish
Instant Pot Method
- Press the sauté button on an electric pressure cooker. Add the turkey and brown the meat, using a wooden spoon to break it into small pieces as it cooks, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the meat and transfer it to a small bowl.
- In the pressure cooker (still on sauté), melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, salt, and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to cook the flour. Return the turkey to the pressure cooker and add the chicken broth, potatoes, and cauliflower and stir.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Quick release, then open when the pressure subsides.
- Transfer the cauliflower and 1 cup of the liquid to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the puree into the soup and stir well. Add the cheddar and stir until melted. Serve topped with the scallions.
- To make this in a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté over medium-high heat in steps 1 and 2. For step 3, bring to a boil, then cook, covered, over low heat until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer 1 cup of the liquid and the whole cauliflower to the blender, and blend until smooth. Stir the puree into the soup, add the cheddar, and serve topped with the scallions.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Disclosure: Created in partnership with ALDI.