Baked Chicken Milanese with Arugula and Tomatoes
Breaded chicken cutlets, baked in the oven topped with arugula, tomatoes and balsamic.
Whenever I go to this Italian restaurant by my house, I’m always tempted to order the not-so-skinny version of this dish. There is something about breaded chicken topped with arugula that really strikes my fancy. This lightened up version is much more figure-friendly, and perfect to make with summer’s ripe tomatoes.
I originally posted this recipe many moons ago, but I remade it today with some slight modifications to the original. Mom my was over for lunch today and told me it was wonderful. Hope you enjoy!
Baked Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad and Tomatoes
For the Salad:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups baby arugula
For the chicken:
- 24 oz (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese (or parmesan)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- olive oil spray (I used my misto)
- In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil and balsamic.
- Add tomatoes, basil and onions; season with salt and pepper. and toss.
- Set aside at least 10 minutes so the juices combine.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place a large baking pan in the oven to get hot.
- Combine breadcrumbs and grated cheese in one bowl.
- In another bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Lightly pound chicken breasts into cutlets, you should have 6.
- Wash and dry cutlets well with paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
- Dip cutlets into lemon/oil mixture, then into breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven and spray with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheets and spray with olive oil spray on top.
- Bake chicken, turning once halfway through for about 15 minutes total, or until chicken is golden.
- Remove from the oven and top with arugula and tomato salad on top.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 3 oz chicken with salad
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 250 calories
- Total Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 87.2mg
- Carbohydrates: 17.4g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Protein: 24.3g