Baked Chicken Milanese is made with breaded chicken cutlets, baked in the oven topped with arugula, tomatoes and balsamic. This is my favorite restaurant dish, made healthier!
Chicken Milanese with Arugula and Tomatoes
Milanese is one of my favorite dishes, especially topped with arugula and tomatoes. I make a similar dish with fish in this Flounder Milanese recipe, and in this Japanese version of Togarashi Chicken.
This lightened up version is much more figure-friendly, and perfect to make with summer’s ripe tomatoes. You can use wheat or gluten free crumbs, I like to add grated Romano cheese to the crumbs for more flavor!
Baked Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad and Tomatoes
For the Salad:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups baby arugula
- In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil and balsamic.
- Add tomatoes, basil and onions; season with salt and pepper. and toss.
- Set aside at least 10 minutes so the juices combine.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place a large baking pan in the oven to get hot.
- Combine breadcrumbs and grated cheese in one bowl.
- In another bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Lightly pound chicken breasts into cutlets, you should have 6.
- Wash and dry cutlets well with paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
- Dip cutlets into lemon/oil mixture, then into breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven and spray with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheets and spray with olive oil spray on top.
- Bake chicken, turning once halfway through for about 15 minutes total, or until chicken is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and top with arugula and tomato salad on top.