Farro Salad with Feta, Cucumbers and Sun Dried Tomatoes
This farro salad is made with Mediterranean ingredients – cucumbers, tomatoes, lemon juice, feta, and mint – delicious as a side dish or even for lunch!
Mediterranean Farro Salad
Farro is one of my favorite grains, and it’s a great one to try if you’re tired of brown rice or quinoa. This Mediterranean Farro Salad can be served chilled or at room temperature and would be perfect for bringing to a potluck or BBQ this summer. For more farro recipes, try this Asian Farro Medley with Salmon and Farro and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash.
Farro is an ancient Italian grain that has become quite popular in the US and throughout Europe in the past decade. It’s a great source of fiber, protein, and iron with a nutty flavor and chewy texture. It’s wonderful in salads, side dishes, and even soups. The pearled variety is as easy to cook as boiling pasta and only takes about 15-20 minutes. If you have never eaten farro, I highly encourage you to try it!!
What to Serve with Farro Salad:
- If you can’t find farro, you could use barley, quinoa, whole wheat couscous, brown rice, or even whole grain elbow macaroni instead.
- If you don’t like feta, skip it or sub in goat cheese.
- Add in extra veggies like roasted red peppers or chopped spinach.
- Swap sun-dried tomatoes for fresh cherry or grape tomatoes.
- Substitute the mint or parsley with basil.
- For extra flavor, add fresh chopped garlic or kalamata olives.
More Grain Salad Recipes You’ll Love:
- Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa, and Mango Salad
- Houston’s Couscous Salad
- Italian Tuna and Brown Rice Salad
- Grilled Mediterranean Chicken and Quinoa Salad
- Lemon Asparagus Couscous Salad with Tomatoes
Farro Salad with Feta, Cucumbers and Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked pearled farro
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh grated feta
- 2/3 cup finely chopped cucumber, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint or parsley
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Cook farro in salted water according to package directions until al dente, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Combine with remaining ingredients and toss well. Serve chilled or room temperature.