Lemon Cranberry Scones
Fresh baked lemon scented scones studded with cranberries, topped with a lemon glaze; a perfect Sunday morning treat.
I’m a scone lover and enjoy playing around with different varieties. Lemon scones have been on my to-do list for quite some time, the added dried fruit was a last minute addition that turned out wonderful.
For perfect scones, be careful not to over-knead the dough and be sure your butter is chilled. Leftovers can be stored in air-tight containers for up to two days. I’ve tried these using all whole wheat flour but I prefer to use a blend of whole wheat and white. Enjoy!
Lemon Cranberry Scones
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups Ultra grain flour (or 1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup dried sweet cranberries or cherries
- Position rack in top third of oven; Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make glaze by combining 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Combine buttermilk, remaining lemon juice, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, and egg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gently fold in cranberries or cherries.
- Add buttermilk mixture, stirring just until moist. (dough will be sticky)
- Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands.
- Form dough into an 8-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4″ thick. Using a knife, cut dough into 10 wedges (do not cut all the way through).
- Brush lemon glaze over dough.
- Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
If you leave out the dried fruit, the scones are 4 points plus each.
Yield: 10 servings, Serving Size: 1 scone
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 7
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 192.5 calories
- Total Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: mg
- Carbohydrates: 33.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sugar: g
- Protein: 4.3g
Basic Scone recipe modified from Cooking LightAll images and text ©