This Sausage, Cheese and Veggie Breakfast Casserole is made with Italian chicken sausage, broccoli, roasted peppers and mozzarella cheese.
I love the convenience of making a large breakfast casserole when I have friends and family over for breakfast or brunch. It’s also great for meal prep, you can make it ahead and heat it up during the week.
You can use any combination of vegetables to make this casserole, but I love how the broccoli and roasted peppers mimic the festive Christmas colors. This would also go great with Crispy Hash Browns.
How To Make a Breakfast Casserole
- You can prep all the ingredients ahead and even cook the sausage in advance so all you have to do in the morning is a quick saute while the oven heats and bake.
- If you hate mushrooms, or cheese, or maybe even sausage, you can use whatever you want here!! Swap mozzarella for Swiss cheese, Feta, cheddar OR leave it out. Swap mushrooms for asparagus, or swap sausage for ham. There are no rules, use what YOU like.
- I personally prefer to use whole eggs with a few egg whites to lighten it up a bit but you can use the whole egg if you prefer. Too many egg whites gives it a spongy texture, so finding the right balance of whole eggs to egg whites is crucial, plus the yolk is good for you so don’t forget that!
How To Freeze:
Cut the leftovers in portions and freeze them in freezer safe containers. This way whenever I need breakfast in a hurry, I reheat them and know exactly what my portions are. To reheat simply thaw the night before or you can heat it up in the microwave or oven set to 350°F until heated through.
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes:
- Tex Mex Breakfast Casserole
- Veggie Ham and Cheese Bake
- Spinach Artichoke and Feta Breakfast Bake
- Breakfast Sausage and Mushroom Strata
- Loaded Baked Omelet Muffins
Sausage, Cheese and Veggie Breakfast Casserole
- 7 oz 2 links sweet Italian chicken sausage, removed from skin
- olive oil spray
- 1 3/4 cups part skim mozzarella, shredded (for gf, check labels)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 5 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers, from a 12 oz jar
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- 8 large whole eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with oil. Place half of cheese into the baking dish.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, cook the sausage over medium heat breaking up as it cooks until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the oil to the skillet with the shallots and mushrooms and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the roasted peppers, broccoli and return the sausage, cook 1 minute; mix well and remove from heat. Spread evenly over the cheese mixture.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, parmesan, salt and pepper and whisk well. Slowly pour over the vegetables in the baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 32 to 35 minutes. Let stand 8 to 10 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Pin It To Save For Later!