This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Having a three week old leaves me with very limited time to cook dinner lately. This is a wonderful sauce that is ready in less than 20 minutes, but tastes like it’s been simmering for hours. Your family will love it! I buy my turkey sausage from the butcher, but Jennie-O and Purdue make lean Italian turkey sausage if you don’t have a good butcher nearby. You can’t beat a homemade sausage, especially from an Italian Salumeria. The ricotta cheese gives this a nice creamy texture.
Turkey Sausage and Tomato Sauce over Pasta
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup pasta, 1/2 cup sauce
- 1 lb lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, I love Tuttorosso
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fat free ricotta
- 16 oz uncooked whole wheat, high fiber or low carb pasta
- Remove the casings from the sausage and saute in a deep skillet.
- When browned and cooked through, add crushed tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
- Add basil and ricotta and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve 1/2 cup sauce over approx 1 cup (2 oz dry) of your favorite cooked whole wheat, low carb or high fiber pasta.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 cup pasta, 1/2 cup sauce, Calories: 297 kcal, Carbohydrates: 48 g, Protein: 17 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 31 mg, Sodium: 560 mg, Fiber: 5 g, Sugar: 4 g