Green Scallop Tacos
What makes these tacos better than just good is this amazing green herb salsa made with fresh herbs, jalapeño and little dices of cooling cucumber and avocado. When paired with these quick sauteed scallops and a squeeze of lime juice on top you’ll probably contemplate opening up your own taco truck (or at least I did!), they are that good!
This recipe was slightly modified from Jonas Cramby’s Tex-Mex From Scratch Cookbook. Tons of great photos and recipes like Baha Ceviche, Beer Braised Lamb Shank Tacos, Tacos Al Pastor, and more I plan on trying soon. You can certainly make them with shrimp or fish, heck even lobster if you wanted to!
A few tips to making perfect scallops; dry them well with paper towels, make sure the heat is very high on your skillet so you get a good sear and only cook four at a time. And of course don’t overcook them, it shouldn’t take longer than 2 minutes on each side, maybe less.
Green Scallop Tacos
- 2 garlic cloves, skin left on
- 2 small jalapenos
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 1 large bunch parsley, leaves only
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced small
- 1 medium haas avocado
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 to 2 tbsp water as needed
- 16 fresh scallops (about 1 lb)
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 8 corn tortillas
- Toast the garlic and jalapeños in a dry skillet until golden. Remove from heat, peel garlic and seed the peppers.
- Combine with olive oil, cilantro and parsley in a small blender with just enough water to blend.
- Place in a bowl and combine with diced cucumber and avocado.
- Pat the scallops dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium skillet over high heat, add 1/2 teaspoon oil and cook the scallops 4 at a time for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they become caramelized and the center is – do not overcook. Set aside and repeat with the others.
- To serve, heat the tortillas on a separate skillet about 30 to 60 seconds on each side, top each with 1/4 cup sauce and 2 scallops. Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top and eat right away.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 8
- Points +: 9
- Calories: 339
- Total Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 657mg
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 18g