Baked Ratatouille is layered with eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, summer squash and topped with melted Havarti cheese. So delish!
True story, my favorite Disney movie of all time is Ratatouille. I’ve watched it hundreds of times with Madison and it never gets old. My version of the classic French dish is more like a casserole, similar to this Noodless Zucchini Lasagna, only without the ricotta and meat sauce. It’s delicious and a great way to use up those summer veggies. If you want a main dish with grains try this Ratatouille with Farro, or if you want something with chicken, try this Ratatouille Baked Chicken.
How To Make Baked Ratatouille
I sliced the vegetables thin with my mandolin (please be careful when cutting) which speeds the prep time up, and grilled them on my grill pan to help dry out the vegetables so the end results won’t be watery which worked like a charm! This is especially great in the late summer, if you’re like me and have an over-abundance of veggies in my garden.
Baked Ratatouille with Havarti Cheese
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/8th inch thick
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, 6 ounces, sliced 1/8th inch thick
- 1 small yellow squash, 6 ounces, sliced 1/8th inch thick
- 3 oz light Havarti cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large non-stick skillet add olive oil and sauté onions and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tsp salt, black pepper, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes if using, bay leaf, thyme, basil, red and yellow bell pepper; sauté another 5-8 minutes on medium-low heat.
- In a large nonstick grill pan, grill the zucchini and eggplant 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Add 1 cup of the sauce to a casserole dish. Layer the eggplant, squash and the zucchini. Pour the remaining sauce over the top and top with the cheese. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.