Low fat, crispy fries baked in your oven. A quick, inexpensive and easy side dish your whole family will love. Keep the skin on the potatoes for added fiber.
Sodium girl asked me to participate in her Love Your Heart Recipe Rally in honor of National Heart Health Month and post a low sodium recipe to prove that many Americans can take healthcare back into their own hands. The USDA recently announced its latest food guidelines which called for many Americans to reduce their sodium intake to 1,500 mg a day (equal to 1/2 teaspoon of salt).
Now, I have no experience with cooking without salt, so this was quite a challenge. I had to pick a recipe that would normally be eaten with salt, and the first thing that came to mind was french fries. My approach to making this blog worthy, was to really punch up the flavors with lots of herbs and seasonings, then make a yummy garlicky dipping sauce.
Well it worked, because my guinea pig, err husband loved them and kept asking me, are you sure you didn’t add salt?
Note; baking time will vary depending on your oven and the size of your fries, so use your judgment and cook until they look right to you.
Skinny Baked Seasoned Fries with Garlic Aioli
- 2 medium potatoes, russet or yukon gold, washed and dried
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence, or use a combo of dried rosemary, thyme, marjoram
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- fresh lime zest
Skinny Garlic Aioli
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp fat free greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up.
- Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Cut each potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices; cut each slice into 1/4 inch fries.
- In a large bowl, combine cut potatoes and oil; toss well.
- Add rosemary, thyme, garlic and seasoning.
- Toss to coat.
- Place in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until tender crisp, turning once half way through.
- Remove from oven serve with garlic aioli.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Servings: 2 • Serving Size: 2 tbsp • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts
Calories: 59.8 • Fat: 4.9 g • Protein: 1.4 g • Carb: 2.3 g • Fiber: 0 g • Sodium: 125.1 mg