This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Rice and beans are my husband’s favorite meal, so this is a dish I make often! I love that it makes a lot, so it;s great for a crowd and leftovers freeze well.
This is a delicious black bean recipe from my Brazilian/Argentinian cousin, Katia. She makes the best black beans, the recipe handed down to her from her father, another great cook. Black beans are loaded with fiber. Try this over white rice with chimichurri sauce, for wonderful fusion of flavors from Argentina and Brazil.
Brazilian Black Beans
This is a delicious black bean recipe from my Brazilian/Argentinian cousin, Katia. She makes the best black beans, the recipe handed down to her from her father, another great cook
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
- 1 smoked ham hock, or smoked pork chop 6 oz.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb package dried black beans
- For the sofrito:
- 1 large minced white onion
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3/4 bunch of parsley finely chopped, no stems
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Soak bean over night. Discard water.
- In a pressure cooker combine soaked beans, ham hock and bay leaves and add enough water to cover beans at least 3 inches, about 6 cups.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and lock the lid. Cook 45 minutes in a pressure cooker on medium-low heat.
- After 45 minutes shut heat off and wait for the pressure to come out of the pot before removing the lid.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan add oil; saute onion, garlic, and parsley on a medium heat. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until onions are translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to the beans and cook uncovered 20-30 more minutes, or until beans have a thick consistency.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 cup, Calories: 172 kcal, Carbohydrates: 16.5 g, Protein: 8.5 g, Fat: 8.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 10.5 mg, Sodium: 26 mg, Fiber: 5.5 g, Sugar: 1 g