This Mediterranean inspired salad is made with Grilled Chicken Shawarma kebabs served over salad with Feta and Tzatziki.
Chicken Shawarma Kebab
We obsess with this shawarma recipe, it’s on constant rotation in my house! I often make it with chicken breast like with this chicken shawarma recipe, served with pita and salad. After sharing these Greek Chicken Tzatziki Bowls a few weeks back I was inspired to make them with thighs and turn them into kebabs. They’re a big hit!! Cook this outside on a gas grill, broiler or in the air fryer! If you don’t like dairy, try it topped with tahini or baba ganoush.
How To Make Chicken Shawarma Kebabs
The chicken comes out so juicy and I personally love anything you can eat on a stick. I served it over salad to make it a meal, but if you are having a party and want to serve up some kebabs, these will be a hit!
Chicken Shawarma Kebab Salad
- 1 pound 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1 cup 145 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup feta, the kind that comes in brine, crumbled
- 4 cups butter lettuce, torn
- 1 cup Skinny Tzatziki, from my blog
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil and lemon juice. Whisk until combined.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, red pepper, salt and black pepper and whisk again. Pour the marinade over the chicken making sure it evenly coat (careful it will stain your fingers). Refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-low heat.
- Thread the chicken pieces among 4 wooden or metal skewers, discarding the marinade in the bowl.
- Grill the chicken, turning the skewers occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through in the center, about 15 to 18 minutes.To make the salad:
- For the salad: In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and red onion and toss to combine.
- Divide the lettuce between 4 bowls, top with tomato salad, feta and grilled chicken. Serve with Tzaziki for dipping.