Grilled shrimp, slices of avocado, shaved fennel and oranges are served over baby kale and mixed greens then topped with a citrus vinaigrette.
Spring is here, although today you would never know it with this crazy cold weather we are having in New York, but my allergies are kicking in to high gear and confirming that Spring is hear indeed. Just a few more weeks before the warmer weather approaches and I already started switching up my meals from those cozy comfort dishes to lighter salads.
This recipe is for my friend Raquel who texts me photos of her fancy dishes she eats when she dines out, then asks me how to make it. I told her I would try to recreate it for her, but wasn’t too excited about the idea of fennel. Because she raved about it so much, I bought all the ingredients anyway and to my surprise, the fennel didn’t bother me at all! I think the trick is that I shaved it real thin with my mandoline, and I loved the way it paired with the citrus and the grilled shrimp.
I felt like I was eating dinner at a fancy-shmancy restaurant, and kept thinking what a great dish this would be for Mother’s Day. My daughter Madison (yes, my three year old) enjoyed the salad too believe it or not! Here she is on Easter, she’s getting so big…
She liked everything except the avocado and baby greens, but ate all the shrimp, oranges and fennel, go figure! I packed the rest for lunch and leftovers tasted just as good as yesterday.
This salad is light and delicious, less than 300 calories, and perfect for Weight Watchers, Whole30, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Low-Sodium and I’m sure others dietary restrictions I’m not familiar with. I am starting to label all the Clean Eating and Paleo recipes from my site for those of you who asked for this, you can see them in the column on the right. I have a lot to go through so it will take a while to get through them all.
Grilled Shrimp Avocado Fennel and Orange Salad
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeled)
- 4 cups fresh arugula or baby greens
- 1 cup 1⁄2 small bulb fresh fennel, thinly sliced or shaved w/ mandoline
- 1 medium-size ripe Hass avocado, sliced thin
- Combine the orange juice from one of the oranges, lemon juice, olive oil, shallots, kosher salt and pepper in a container with a tight-fitting lid and shake it vigorously to combine.
- Reserve 1⁄2 cup of the vinaigrette for dressing the salad and pour the remaining vinaigrette into a medium nonreactive bowl.
- Put the shrimp in the bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss; let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare your outdoor grill, or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Grill the shrimp until just cooked through and opaque, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Divide the baby greens on four plates, top with sliced fennel, oranges, avocados and shrimp.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette, about 2 tbsp per salad.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.