Homemade Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
Preparing homemade turkey sausage gives you more control of how much fat and what seasonings go into your sausage. You can use this in any recipes that call for sausage such as Pasta with Italian Sausage, Escarole and Peppers or Sausage White Bean and Kale Soup.
Adjust the seasoning to your liking using the spices you desire. If you like hot sausage, add crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne and chili powder. Other combinations I love – Romano Cheese and Basil, Rosemary and Tomatoes, and Roasted Red Peppers and Onions. Have fun with it!!
And yes, you can use ground chicken in place of turkey. You could probably even use veggie crumbles to make it vegan.
Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried fennel
- 1 tsp sugar
- Combine turkey, garlic and spices and mix well using your hands.
- You can form them into patties or use this in recipes where sausage is called for.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1/5th
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 129.4 calories
- Total Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 180.6mg
- Carbohydrates: 2.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Protein: 16.7g