Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage or Chicken Sausage
Although you can usually find Italian Turkey Sausage or Chicken Sausage in most supermarkets, after many requests I created this homemade version.
Homemade Italian Sausage
Preparing homemade turkey sausage gives you more control of how much fat and what seasonings go into your sausage. If you want to avoid preservatives and added flavors, this is a great base. You can use this in any recipes that call for crumbled sausage such as Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe, Pasta with Italian Sausage, Escarole and Peppers or Sausage White Bean and Kale Soup.
Adjust the seasoning to your liking using the spices you desire.
- If you like spicy sausage, add crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne and chili powder.
- Other combinations I love add Romano Cheese and Basil
- Add Rosemary and Chopped Sundried Tomatoes
- Make breakfast sausage with Smoked Paprika and Grated Apple or Maple.
- And yes, you can use ground chicken in place of turkey. You could even use veggie crumbles to make it vegan.
Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1.3 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried fennel
- 1 tsp sugar
- Combine turkey, garlic and spices and mix well using your hands or a fork.
- You can form them into patties or use this in recipes where crumbled sausage is called for.