Mixed Berry Whole Wheat Muffins
Fresh raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries baked in low-fat whole wheat muffins. Perfect for breakfast or to enjoy as a snack.
As summer sadly comes to an end, I am consuming as much fresh summer fruit as I can. Summer is my favorite season and I’m always sad when the end of August comes around knowing soon I’ll have to wear sweaters and socks. I also love the selection of fresh produce and garden herbs only available to me in the summer months.
I’ve made these muffins using both all whole wheat pastry flour and with a blend of whole wheat and white. Both work well but if I had to choose, I prefer using a blend. If fresh berries aren’t available, frozen berries would work as well.
Low Fat Mixed Berry Whole Wheat Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups pureed strawberries (from about 16 oz strawberries)
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat pastry flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup blackberries
- 1/3 cups blueberries
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a blender, puree strawberries until smooth, you should have 1 1/2 cups when done. If you have more, discard the rest.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs, melted butter, vanilla and strawberry puree.
- Add to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Gently fold in remaining berries.
- Pour batter into 12 lined muffin tins and bake at 325° for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes.
Yield: 12 servings, Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 151.5 calories
- Total Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 215mg
- Carbohydrates: 29.7g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sugar: 13.4g
- Protein: 3.1g