Mushroom ceviche marinated overnight with lemon juice, cilantro, red onion and bell pepper. All the flavors of ceviche without the seafood! 100% Vegetarian!
Vegetarian Mushroom Ceviche
I couldn’t decide if I wanted to call this poor man’s ceviche or vegetarian ceviche, but what I did want to make clear is that the flavors in these marinated mushrooms are what you would expect to taste when enjoying ceviche, only without the seafood.
This makes a great appetizer, and the flavor gets better with time. My husband, who’s not a mushroom fan loved this! You can make this up to a few days ahead, if desired, it would last a week if not longer.
- 2 roasted garlic cloves
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, Pacific
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon honey, or agave for vegan
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a cast iron skillet, roast 2 garlic cloves until brown on each side.
- Mash the garlic and place in a large bowl with the mushrooms, red onion and bell peppers.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, whisk well then pour over mushrooms.
- Cover and refrigerate at least a few hours, or overnight.