Pasta Con Sarde
This is a traditional Italian dish from Sicily in the Palermo region which translates to Pasta with Sardines. It’s a unique combination of cauliflower, wild fennel, sardines and raisins, served over bucatini or spaghetti and topped with toasted breadcrumbs. If this sounds like a strange combination to you, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!
What I love about this dish is that this is not the typical Italian dish you would find on the menu of most Italian restaurants. This recipe is from my good friend Julia, a wonderful Italian cook who’s family is originally from Sicily. She was kind enough to share her recipe, which happens to be her favorite dish. I’ve linked to the Pasta Con Sarde seasoning, which they sell on Amazon, or in any Italian specialty store, or if you’re lucky enough to have a good Italian section in your supermarket. To keep the points lower, I suggest using a high fiber or low carb pasta. Here is a list of some low point pastas you can find in your local supermarket. Buon appetito!
Pasta Con Sarde
- 6 tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs
- butter flavored Pam
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 anchovies
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped and steamed
- 1 14.5 oz can pasta con sarde seasoning
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 chicken bouillion
- 12 oz high fiber spaghetti such as Ronzoni Smart Taste
- Heat a nonstick frying pan on medium heat and spray with Pam.
- Toast breadcrumbs until golden, careful not to burn. Set aside.
- Sauté onions and anchovies in oil on medium heat until anchovies melt and onions are golden, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, 4 oz water and pasta con sarde seasoning and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked cauliflower, chicken bouillion and pepper to taste and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- When pasta is cooked, divide pasta in 6 bowls (about 1 cup each).
- Top each bowl with sauce and 1 tablespoon toasted breadcrumbs and serve.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1/6th
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 6
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 323.4 calories
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: mg
- Carbohydrates: 56.8g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sugar: g
- Protein: 13.4g