Portobello Shepherd’s Pie
This fast and fresh vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie made with Portobello mushroom, carrots, peas, corn, and onions, all topped with leftover Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes, is the perfect after-Holiday fix.
Portobello Shepherd’s Pie
I’m sure you’re familiar with my easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe which is like a classic shepherd’s pie, only lightened up. This Portobello mushroom version is perfect when you’re looking for a plant based dish, with all the flavors of the traditional.
Hi Everyone, I’m Heather K. Jones. I’m a registered dietitian, a wellness coach, and the founder of Feel Better Eat Better, an online weight loss program for women who struggle with emotional eating, binge eating, overeating or body image issues—click HERE to sign up for my free weight loss workshop coming soon!
I don’t know about you, but right after Thanksgiving I’m always ready to load up on vegetables and salads. This fast and fresh vegetarian dish made with Portobello mushroom, carrots, peas, corn, and onions, all topped with leftover Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes, is the perfect after-Holiday fix. Trust me, it’s so tasty and hearty you won’t even miss the meat.
More recipes you will love:
Portobello Shepherd's Pie
- For potatoes:
- Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes or roughly 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 ounce freshly grated parmesan cheese
- For vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds Portobella mushrooms, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 7 ounces 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Prepare Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes according to directions.
- For the Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie: In a large sauté pan, heat the butter and oil. Add the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, carrots, parsley, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and sauté 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle vegetables with the flour, stir to coat and cook, scraping brown bits from the pan, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the broth, peas and corn, cook, stirring often, until sauce has thickened (about 5 minutes).
- To assemble the Mushroom Shepherd's Pie: Preheat broiler to high.
- Transfer vegetables to an 8” x 11” casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes in an even layer over the vegetables, top with parmesan and broil 5 minutes, or until top is golden. Garnish with parsley.