Instant Pot Chicken Stew with corn (pollo guisado) is one of my favorite comfort foods. It’s a simple dish, but my whole family loves it. I make it at least 2 times a month!
Instant Pot Chicken Stew (pollo guisado)
I wanted to take advantage of fresh summer corn in season and this turned out wonderful in the pressure cooker! I’ve also included stove top directions. Some other ethnic stews we love are Carne Guisada, Jamaican Coconut Shrimp Stew and Slow Cooker Pork and Gandules (Pigeon Peas) Stew.
If you want to keep this Whole30 or low-carb, leave the corn out. I served it over rice for my family and over cauliflower rice (Trader Joe’s now carries it!) for myself to keep it low-carb. I just love using drumsticks, but you can use whatever you want as long as it’s on the bone which adds flavor.
I typically make this on the stove in a big pot and let it simmer on low 35 to 40 minutes until tender. With my Instant Pot (slow cooker, electric pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker in one) sitting on my counter, I decided to use that instead and the results were perfection in half the time. The chicken literally falls off the bone and the flavors all work so well together! If you don’t have a pressure cooker, the stove is perfectly fine!
To freeze any leftovers, transfer to an air-tight freezer safe container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat on the stove, pressure cooker or microwave.
How To Make Instant Pot Pollo Guisado
More Instant Pot Recipes You Will Love
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Chicken Dal Curry
- Red Lentil Soup with Spinach
- Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Pressure Cooker Stewed Chicken with Corn (Pollo Guisado con Maiz)
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks, 28 oz
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus 1 tbsp for garnish
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Better Than Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 corn on the cobb, husked and halved
- Season chicken with salt and garlic powder.
- Saute the onions, scallions, tomato and garlic in olive oil until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup cilantro and stir 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, water, Bouillon, cumin and stir. Place the chicken in the sauce. Top with corn, cover and cook on high pressure 20 minutes. Natural release and top with remaining cilantro.
- To make on the stove, simmer low covered 40 minutes adding the corn the last 5 minutes.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
307 comments on “Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Corn (Pollo Guisado con Maiz)”
My family loves this recipe and it’s easy to make. I double the chicken bouillon and today I mixed tomato paste and water in equal parts (that’s what I had). It made a thicker sauce and I think I like that. My family loves this recipe. I’ve made it with legs, thighs and I tossed some wings in once to make up for the lack of legs. Still came out delish
Delicious! The broth flavor was so good– I had to drink it like soup lol (how many extra points would that be…)
Yummy! Simmered on stove and added a can of red beans!
Amazing recipe; fast, easy, and so flavorful! Even better the next night as leftovers!
This was delicious. My family loved the flavor. I used El Pato tomato sauce. It’s a little bit spicy tomato sauce. The flavor combo was so good. I took another persons suggestion and added a cup of rice. It made it a one pot meal. Subbed green beans for corn. I forgot the corn. So good and will definitely make again!
My husband and I love this recipe. I have made it as written at least 10 times. Thank you