Cobb Salad in a Jar with Buttermilk Ranch is the perfect lunch recipe to make ahead and eat when you’re on the go!
Cobb Salad with Buttermilk Ranch
Chicken, tomatoes, bacon, avocado, eggs, blue cheese and lettuce all conveniently layered in a jar with a light homemade ranch – portable and perfect to make ahead to take to work, school, the beach, park or anywhere you want a delicious meal on the go! This is a very large salad, with plenty of protein so it will leave you full for hours. Perfect if you have leftover grilled chicken.
If you’re not familiar with jar salads, the dressing goes on the bottom layered with vegetables that don’t wilt and topped with the more delicate lettuces. I wasn’t sure how the avocado would hold up, but I ate my second salad two days later at the beach and it was still perfect (mine was not too ripe). To eat, shake it all up and pour it onto a plate.
Cobb Salad Helpful Tips:
- If you prefer to use powdered buttermilk instead of buying a carton, that would work fine.
- No jar, no problem. Salad can also be made ahead and stored in a regular Tupperware container. Just be sure to put the dressing on the side in a separate container.
More Mason Jar Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Protein Egg and Quinoa Mason Jar Salad
- Asian Chopped Salad with Sesame Soy Vinaigrette
- Brussels and Chickpea Salad in a Jar with Artichokes
- Overnight Oats in a Jar
Cobb Salad in a Jar with Buttermilk Ranch
- large mason jar
- 2 strips center-cut bacon
- 10 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 ounces 1/2 small avocado, diced
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 4 ounces grilled chicken breast, diced, or leftover rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 ounce crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese, 1 generous tablespoon
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Set aside
- Cook the bacon according to package directions. Once cooked, place strips on a paper towel lined plate and allow to cool. Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes, avocado, eggs, and chicken. Once cool, chop the bacon.
- In each quart size mason jar, divide all ingredients evenly. Layer the dressing, chicken, tomato, eggs, cheese, bacon and top with chopped romaine and avocado (I suggest adding avocado the day you plan to eat it).