Caramelized scallops combined with sweet citrus and peppery arugula in a garlic citrus vinaigrette, yum! This is my new favorite salad. Scallops are low in points and this salad is simple to make and elegant enough to impress guests. This is great quick lunch or can be served as a first course. You can easily double this recipe.
Pan Seared Scallops with Baby Greens and Citrus Mojo Vinaigrette
- 1/2 lb 8 oz sea scallops
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 navel orange
- 1 small clove garlic crushed
- kosher salt and fresh pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 tbsp red onion chopped
- Citrus Mojo Vinaigrette: In a small bowl whisk olive oil, juice from half lemon, juice from 1/4 of the orange, crushed garlic, salt and pepper.
- Peel the remaining orange and chop into small chunks.
- Arrange mixed greens and arugula in the center of a plate or platter.
- Top with red onion.
- Wash scallops and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season with salt.
- Heat a medium size pan on a high flame.
- When pan is hot, melt butter and place scallops in the pan.
- Sear without touching them for a few minutes until the bottom forms a nice caramel colored crust.
- Turn over and cook about another minute while their centers are still slightly translucent (you can check this by viewing them from the side). Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove from the pan and arrange around the greens.
- Arrange oranges on the plate and drizzle with vinaigrette.