Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea and Turkey Stew
Ground turkey and chickpeas are slow cooked with turmeric, paprika, coriander and lots of vegetables for a cozy dish that only gets better with time – so leftovers make a delicious lunch. This is also freezer friendly and naturally gluten-free.
It’s so strange how addicted I am to chickpeas these days – a legume I once stayed far away from. Now I can’ get enough of them, and since they are high in protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, I’m glad I’ve learned to love them. One bowl is very satisfying, and it has a touch of spice. If you prefer to keep it mild, you can leave out the red pepper flakes.
And since so many are asking, I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker. I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This crock pot is so great, I actually own two!
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- cooking spray
- 1.3 lb package 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, light
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans chick peas, drained
- 2 cups low sodium, 99% fat free chicken broth*
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley or spearmint, chopped
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and over medium high heat cook ground turkey for 10-12 minutes.
- Break up the ground meat and mix so meat cooks evenly; place in the slow cooker.
- To the skillet add the olive oil, onions, pepper, carrots, and celery and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer to slow cooker along with diced tomatoes, chick peas, spices, broth and gently mix well.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and serve; garnish with fresh herbs.