The key to making perfect fried rice is using cold leftover rice.
There’s a really great Thai restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn I used to go to all the time called Sea that has a great vibe and a DJ. I always ordered the fried rice because it’s just amazing! I was on a mission to make this myself, and after researching and experimenting, I managed to get very close. Thai fried rice gets it’s unique flavor from the fish sauce, soy sauce and chili peppers. The jasmine rice is a must! Although here I used chicken, I’ve also made this with shrimp, beef or pork. Enjoy!
Thai Chicken Fried Rice
- 8 oz chicken breast cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked brown jasmine rice
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 scallions chopped
- 3 egg whites beaten
- 1 whole egg beaten
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced into wedges
- 2 to 3 Thai chili peppers optional
- 4 tsp soy sauce or tamari for gluten free
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Heat a large nonstick wok over high heat.
- Meanwhile, season chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
- When the wok is very hot, add 2 tsp of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook on high until its browned all over and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove chicken from wok and set aside, add the eggs, pinch of salt and cook a minute or two until done. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and add the onion, scallions and garlic. Saute 1 minute, add the chili pepper if using, tomatoes and stir in all the rice.
- Add the soy sauce and fish sauce stir to mix all the ingredients.
- Keep stirring a few minutes, then add egg and chicken back to the wok.
- Adjust soy sauce if needed and stir well another 30 seconds.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.