A beautifully presented salad made with summer tomatoes, arugula, part skim mozzarella, balsamic, basil and olive oil. This makes a wonderful vegetarian or low carb lunch for two, perfect for a hot summer day.
To enjoy this as a side dish, cut it in half down the middle and make this 4 servings.
Tomato Mozzarella and Arugula Tower
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- 3 oz part skim mozzarella, sliced into 6 slices
- 2 cups arugula
- In a small blender, combine basil, olive oil, balsamic, a pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Slice the the top and bottom off of the tomato, discard.
- Cut the tomato into 3 equal slices and season with a pinch of salt keeping the tomato intact to assemble the same way it was cut.
- Place 3/4 cup of arugula on each plate.
- Create two towers by layering the tomato, mozzarella, arugula, until two towers have formed, one on each plate.
- Top tomatoes with the remaining arugula then top with fresh cracked pepper and drizzle with oil and vinegar.