Fresh strawberries cooked with agave get folded into Greek yogurt and whipped topping to create pretty swirls of fruit and cream. Serving this in a clear glass cup or champagne flute allows the pretty ribbons of red and white to show through.
For those of you that may be unfamiliar with a fool, a fool is a quick and easy dessert that is made with fresh fruit that has been simmered with sugar and folded with fresh whipped cream. This skinny version tastes just as good as the full fat version, making it a perfect summer treat.
I have yet to figure out how to make a low fat whipped cream from scratch, but I recently found an all natural whipped topping at my organic market called truwhip. It contains neither high fructose corn syrup nor hydrogenated oil, and is delicious! Their website has a store finder so you can locate it at a store near you. If you prefer to use Cool Whip Free, I’ve given you the nutritional info for that as well for you to decide.
Skinny Strawberry Fool (with Truwhip)
For the strawberries:
- 1 1/2 lbs 3 1/2 cups strawberries, washed, hulled, cut in half
- 1/3 cup agave nectar sugar or Splenda would work
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 8 oz truwhip or Cool Whip Free
- 12 oz fat free Vanilla Chobani
- Combine the strawberries, agave, and salt in a medium bowl and stir until the strawberries are coated in agave.
- Mash with a potato masher until half of the strawberries are smashed, but some medium sized chunks remain.
- Cook the strawberries over high heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbles form along the edge, about 5 minutes.
- Skim any foam from the surface with a spoon and discard.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, stir to combine and bring to a full boil, about 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, skim foam and discard.
- Transfer to a container and let it cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
- When the strawberry sauce is cooled, gently fold the whipped topping in a large bowl along with the yogurt.
- Gently fold the strawberry sauce with the whipped cream to create pretty swirls and place in 6 glasses.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 182 • Fat: 0.4 g • Protein: 5.9 g • Carb: 37.4 g • Fiber: 2.1 g
Sodium: 73 mg