Tortilla soup is a hearty and flavorful Mexican-inspired soup made with a blend of savory spices, diced tomatoes, and tender chicken or turkey.
It is typically served with a variety of toppings such as crunchy tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro. This soup is easy to make and can be customized to your preference. Whether you prefer a spicy kick or a more mild flavor, you can adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. Tortilla soup is a perfect meal for a cold day, and it is sure to satisfy your hunger and warm your soul.
What Is Tortilla Soup?
Tortilla soup is a Mexican-inspired soup made with a tomato base most commonly with chicken but you can use turkey or beef if you prefer. It is simmered with spices and topped with crispy tortilla strips.
What to serve with tortilla soup
There are many delicious sides that go well with this soup. Some ideas include:
- Avocado or guacamole: These add a creamy and refreshing element to the soup.
- Cheese: Grated cheese, such as cheddar or Monterey Jack, adds flavor and texture to the soup.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro adds a burst of fresh flavor to the soup.
- Tortilla chips or strips: These add a crunchy texture to the soup. You can also use them to scoop up the soup.
- Sour cream: This adds a tangy flavor to the soup.
- Lime wedges: Squeeze a little lime juice over the soup for a burst of citrus flavor.
- Salsa: This adds a spicy kick to the soup.
- Rice: A side of rice goes well with the soup, especially if you prefer a heartier meal.
- Beans: Adding beans, such as black beans or kidney beans, to the soup makes it even more filling.
- Corn: Fresh or canned corn adds a sweet and crunchy element to the soup.
Feel free to mix and match these sides to create the perfect accompaniment to your soup.
More Soup Recipes You Will Love
- Chicken and Avocado Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chipotle Chicken Zucchini “Fideo” Soup
- Sausage and Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thin (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken or turkey stock, 4 cups
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey meat, about 13 ounces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
- Additional toppings: sliced avocado, Greek yogurt, sour cream, shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 3-quart or larger pot, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and oregano and cook, stirring often until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock, raise the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, brush each tortilla with the oil, then stack on a cutting board. Cut the tortilla stack in half, then into 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Arrange the strips on a sheet pan in a single layer (you may need to use more than one pan, or bake in rounds.) Season the strips with a few pinches of salt and bake until golden and crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken or turkey meat to the soup pot and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes to heat the turkey meat.
- To serve, top the soup with a handful of tortilla strips and cilantro, plus optional avocado, sour cream and cheese.