Cubed Steak with Peppers and Olives (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker and Stove-Top)
Braised Cubed Steak with Peppers, Onions and Olives is a flavorful, budget-friendly and family friendly dish you can make in the Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or in a pot on the stove.
This is a dish I grew up eating, and always loved. It’s cheap because it’s made with an inexpensive cut of beef and just a few ingredients. My Mom learned this recipe from her Cuban friend which she called Carne Machacada. I saw the cubed steak in the supermarket last week and craved this dish immediately so I called my mom to ask her how to make it and adapted it for the pressure cooker. She makes this on the stove which I have done many times before, but really loved how tender it came out in the Instant Pot.
My family devoured this, even went back for seconds. I served it over rice with a quick slaw on the side. If you want an easy, budget-friendly, family-friendly dish with a Latin flair, I’m sure your family will enjoy it!
A few more notes about this dish:
- This is freezer-friendly, to freeze store in a freezer safe container and let it thaw in the fridge the night before to reheat.
- Dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, whole30 and paleo-friendly.
- Great served over rice, or to keep it low-carb serve it over cauliflower rice.
- This flavor combination would be great with cubed beef for beef stew or even chicken
Braised Cubed Steak with Peppers and Olives Recipe (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker and Stove-Top)
- 8 pieces cubed steak (28 oz)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons adobo seasoning or garlic salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced 1/4-inch thin strips
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch thin strips
- 1/3 cup green pitted olives plus 2 tablespoons of brine
- Season beef with adobo or garlic salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Place into the pressure cooker, top with onions and peppers, pour tomato sauce and water over everything and add the olives along with some of the brine (liquid from the jar).
- Cover and cook high pressure 25 minutes.
- Natural release and serve.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: per steak with sauce
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 2
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 154
- Total Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Sodium: 622mg
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Protein: 23.5g