Cubed Steak with Peppers and Olives (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker and Stove-Top)
Braised Cubed Steak with Peppers, Onions and Olives is a flavorful, budget-friendly and family friendly dish you can make in the Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or in a pot on the stove.
Cubed Steak with Peppers and Olives
My family devoured this, even went back for seconds. I served it over rice with a quick slaw on the side. If you want an easy, budget-friendly, family-friendly dish with a Latin flair, I’m sure your family will enjoy it!
This is a dish I grew up eating, and always loved. It’s cheap because it’s made with an inexpensive cut of beef and just a few ingredients. My Mom learned this recipe from her Cuban friend which she called Carne Machacada. I saw the cubed steak in the supermarket last week and craved this dish immediately so I called my mom to ask her how to make it and adapted it for the pressure cooker. She makes this on the stove which I have done many times before, but really loved how tender it came out in the Instant Pot.
- This is freezer-friendly, to freeze store in a freezer safe container and let it thaw in the fridge the night before to reheat.
- Dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, whole30 and paleo-friendly.
- Great served over rice, or to keep it low-carb serve it over cauliflower rice.
- This flavor combination would be great with cubed beef for beef stew or even chicken
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Braised Cubed Steak with Peppers and Olives Recipe (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker and Stove-Top)
- 8 pieces cubed steak, 28 oz total
- 1 3/4 teaspoons adobo seasoning or garlic salt
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced 1/4-inch thin strips
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch thin strips
- 1/3 cup green pitted olives , plus 2 tablespoons of brine
Instant Pot Directions:
- Season beef with adobo or garlic salt.
- Add the onions and peppers to the instant pot. Pour tomato sauce and water over everything and add the olives along with some of the brine (liquid from the jar). Add the beef, cumin and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook high pressure 25 minutes. Natural release then press saute and simmer until it thickens, 5 to 10 minutes.
Slow Cooker Directions (My least favorite way to make this):
- Cook 8 hours on low.
- Add a little oil to a large deep skillet and saute the onions and peppers with a pinch of salt, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, 1 can of water, olives, brine, cumin and stir then add the beef and bay leaf.
- Cook over low heat for 1 hour, covered until the beef is tender. Uncover, then remove the lid and let it simmer over medium-low until it thickens to your liking.