Skillet Cauliflower “Arroz” Con Pollo
Skillet Cauliflower “Arroz” Con Pollo (Spanish chicken and rice) is a dish I grew up eating, and is pure comfort food to me. This low-carb version swaps the rice for veggies, which means larger portions with 85% less calories than rice!
It should come at no surprise, if you’ve been reading my blog for a while how much I love using cauliflower in place of rice. Don’t get me wrong, I still love rice but on days I want to cut back on carbs, or just add more nutritious veggies into a meal, cauliflower rice is excellent. Making it in the food processor can be time consuming on busy weeknights, so I’m really excited that Green Giant came out with a new line of frozen riced veggies. From freezer to stove they take only 6 minutes to cook, and come without seasoning so you can use them any way you like!
I’ve partnered with Green Giant to create a dish using one of their riced veggies, (they have several varieties) and immediately thought of arroz con pollo when I saw their Cauliflower Medley which has cauliflower, carrots and peas – all the ingredients I usually add to my arroz. If you would like to make this Whole30 or Paleo, simply swap the Cauliflower Medley for one of their other varieties, Riced Cauliflower , Cauliflower & Sweet Potato or Cauliflower & Broccoli which are great for other recipes as well.
To make this taste similar to my traditional arroz con pollo, I simmered the chicken with onions, garlic, tomatoes and seasoning until tender, then added the veggies and olives. This turned out really flavorful, hope you enjoy!
More ways to use riced cauliflower:
- Swap them for any dish that calls for rice
- Add them to rice dishes to increase the portions and add more veggies
- Add them to stuffed peppers in place of rice
- Saute with garlic and oil for a simple side dish
- Great to add in quick omelets
Skillet Cauliflower "Arroz" Con Pollo
- 4 skinless, drumsticks on the bone
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Sazon seasoning (store bought ore homemade)
- 12 oz bag Green Giant Riced Cauliflower Medley (use Green Giant Riced Cauliflower for Whole30/Paleo)
- 2 tablespoons pitted green olives, 1 tablespoon brine
- Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon oregano and black pepper.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add 1/2 teaspoon of oil and sauté the chicken until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. Wipe the skillet.
- Heat remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons oil in skillet, then add onions, peppers, garlic and cilantro. Sauté, stirring about 2 minutes. Add water, tomato paste, sazon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and return the chicken to the skillet. Cover and cook on medium-low heat 30 minutes, turning half way, until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add the Green Giant Riced Veggies, increase heat to medium-high and stir well, return the chicken to the skillet, add the olives with a little of the brine (liquid) from the olive jar, cover and simmer until heated through, about 6 minutes.
Yield: 2 Servings, Serving Size: 2 drumsticks, 1 cup veggies
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 9
- Points +: 12
- Calories: 470
- Total Fat: 19.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 218mg
- Sodium: 978mg
- Carbohydrates: 19.5g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 52.5g
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Green Giant, all thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Skinnytaste possible.