These meatless meatballs were a HUGE hit in my house, I even let my neighbors and friends try and everyone loved them! Made with grated zucchini, garlic, Pecorino Romano, basil, bread crumbs and egg, then baked in the oven and finished in a pomodoro sauce.
- cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/4 lbs unpeeled zucchini, grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated, plus more for serving
- 2 cups quick marinara sauce or jarred (I love DeLallo Pomodoro)
- part skim ricotta cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add the garlic and saute until golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until all the water evaporates from the skillet, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander to get rid of any excess water, then to a large bowl along with the bread crumbs, beaten egg, Romano cheese and chopped basil.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 16 balls about 1 oz each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Spray the top and bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the sauce in a large deep skillet to warm the sauce, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish the meatballs with fresh basil leaves and serve with ricotta or grated cheese if desired.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 5
- Points +: 7
- Calories: 259
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Sodium: 1182mg
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 9g
- Protein: 10g