These Asparagus and Feta Tartlets with Phyllo Crust are so easy to make – the perfect Spring appetizer, brunch, or lunch dish!
Asparagus and Feta Tartlet with Phyllo Crust
These Asparagus and Feta Tartlets with Phyllo Crust taste as amazing as they look. At their peak in Spring, the asparagus are tangy and bright after a quick sauté and a splash of lemon juice. The feta adds briny flavor, but goat cheese would also work beautifully. If you’re looking for more individual tarts for Spring, you’ll also love these Asparagus and Caramelized Onion Tartlets and Layered Potato Cups with Spring Herbs and Leeks.
How to Cut Asparagus
The most important thing to do when prepping asparagus is to snap off the hard, woody end of each stalk. For this tart recipe, cut off the top 1.5 inches of the asparagus and cut the remaining parts into 1-inch pieces.
Is phyllo dough the same as puff pastry?
Phyllo dough and puff pastry are not the same and should not be substituted for each other. Puff pastry is more buttery and thicker than phyllo dough. Phyllo is a very thin pastry made of mostly flour and water with very little fat. It can also be spelled “filo” and means “leaf” in Greek. Since phyllo doesn’t have much fat, I spray each sheet with oil before cutting. Work quickly with the dough to prevent it from drying out.
How to Serve Asparagus Tartlets
One of these mini quiches would be a delicious appetizer, or two served with a salad would make a satisfying lunch.
How to Reheat Tartlets
These individual asparagus tarts make great leftovers. To re-crisp the phyllo dough, heat the leftovers in the oven until warmed through, and the phyllo is crispy.
- Sub goat cheese for feta.
- If asparagus are out of season, try zucchini.
- You can easily double this tartlet recipe if you need to feed more people.
More Asparagus Recipes You’ll Love:
- Spring Asparagus Risotto
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Lemon Asparagus Couscous Salad with Tomatoes
- Asparagus and Swiss Cheese Frittata
Asparagus and Feta Tartlet with Phyllo Crust
- 12 medium asparagus, about 4 ounces
- 2 olive oil spray, divided, plus
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons half and half
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 4 phyllo sheets
- Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray 6 cups in a muffin tin with olive oil spray.
- Snap off and discard the woody end of the asparagus.
- Cut 1 1/2-inch long pieces from the tip end. Cut the remaining parts of the stalks into 1-inch pieces.
- Spray nonstick pan with olive oil spray over medium high heat. Add asparagus and garlic and sauté, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon water. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove asparagus pieces to a plate using a slotted spoon and reserve the pan juices and garlic.
- Place a phyllo sheet on a clean work surface, lightly spray with oil and top with another phyllo sheet. Repeat with two more sheets and oil.
- Cut the phyllo into 4-inch squares. Fit one square each in the prepared muffin cups. .
- Evenly distribute the 1-inch asparagus pieces and feta among the muffin cups.
- Whisk half and half, egg, dill, and reserved pan juices together. Evenly divide among the phyllo cups (about 3 1/2 tablespoons in each).
- Place two asparagus tips on each cup and bake for for 30 minutes until custard is set and phyllo is golden.
31 comments on “Asparagus and Feta Tartlet with Phyllo Crust”
How can these be made dairy free? Is there a substitute for the half and half?
Please excuse my ignorance but could someone please tell me what “half and half” is?
I’ve never seen it before.
If no one replied, half and half is a cream/milk mixture. Usually sold in dairy near the Heavy Whipping Cream and Cream.
Could you sub goat cheese instead of feta?
How many does this make? I see 6 servings but is that one or two per? Thanks!
Serving size is 1 tartlet.
This was delicious. Can you make this as a crustless quiche? If so what would the measurements be? Thank you.
I was out of lemons and subbed a blood orange – this recipe was DELICIOUS!!!
exactly how many tartlets does the standard recipe make? It says 6 servings, but is each serving 1 tartlet or more than 1?
are these made in a standard muffin tin or a mini muffin tin?
serving size is below the directions. This is a standard size.
Made this and first question is what size cupcake plan are you using? 4 Layers of 4″ square Phyllo are way too thick for a standard muffins tin, which then isn’t leaving space for liquid, asparagus and feta. What did I do wrong?
These turned out fantastic! I loved them! I used fat free half and half because it’s all I had and it worked perfectly. So I believe that would be 3 less points for the entire recipe.
Where are the Directions?
Cannot print recipe says print & nothing happens
I have the same problem – no directions and what type of Phyllo? (sheet/cups etc)
This recipe came at a great time because for the first time ever, we were able to harvest asparagus from our garden. These were an excellent addition to our Easter breakfast!!
You never indicated when to add the salt in pepper in the directions and accidentallyI left it out, leaving the dish bland.
Also, mine didn’t look as yellow. Seemed like maybe too much half and half listed or not enough egg. Was very pale, almost white in color.
Seems like something you could’ve easily figured out Wendy….its salt and pepper…
Can you use the ready made phyllo shells? To save time?
Never mind my question. I figured out the ready made shells are too small. Got the right one and just made them today, they were delicious , except I am not a fan of dill, which I will omit the next time I make them which will be tomorrow!
Should the phyllo be thawed?
Can these be frozen & thawed?
Can you use wonton wrappers for these in place of phyllo?
I had everything but the phyllo dough. I hate when that happens. I did have wonton wrappers (thanks for the idea) . Delish. This recipe as all sorts of yummy flavors going on. I will try with the phyllo dough, as I suspect they will be crunchier… And I love crunch..
How did the win ton wrappers do as I have those as well??
Can you please post the instructions? I only see the ingredients
These look amazing! I want to make for Easter but I think you forgot the directions?