This Spring Pea Soup with Fresh Herbs finished with a lemony yogurt topping is pretty effortless, but it tastes like a million bucks!
Spring Pea Soup with Fresh Herbs
The bright green color of this Spring Pea and Fresh Herbs Soup is lovely. It will fade a little if you save the soup for the next day, but what you trade off in color, you gain in even deeper flavor that comes from the ingredients melding together. The lemony yogurt topping is cool and creamy and brightens up the dish. For more of my favorite pureed soups, try this Cream of Asparagus Leek Soup with Crème Fraiche and Cream of Zucchini Soup.
Spring pea soup ingredients:
- Fresh or frozen peas
- Fresh mint and tarragon
- Vegetable broth
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Instead of using any cream, I top it with yogurt mixed with lemon zest, coriander, and salt. To make pretty swirls, drag a knife through the dollops. The yogurt makes the pea soup creamy with few extra calories.
What to Serve with Spring Pea Soup
This spring pea soup is delicious as a starter to any meal or as lunch served with a half sandwich. Egg salad or a turkey club are good choices. And you can never go wrong with the classic soup and salad combo.
- Omit the yogurt to make it dairy-free.
- Simplify the ingredients by using all mint or basil instead of a combination of herbs.
- Refrigerate leftovers up to 4 days.
More Pea Recipes You’ll Love:
- Baked Rice and Peas
- Ground Turkey with Potatoes and Spring Peas
- Shrimp, Peas and Rice
- Linguini with Sauteed Scallops and Peas
- Lamb Kheema with Peas
Spring Pea and Fresh Herbs Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or basil
- 3 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 lemon, zested and juice reserved
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons whole yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Heat the oil in a medium (4 quart) pot over medium heat.
- Add scallions and tarragon or basil and cook, stirring occasionally until scallions are soften, 4 minutes.
- Add peas, stir for 1 minute. Add vegetable broth and bring mixture to a simmer and cook until peas are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and, working batches, use a blender to puree the soup with the mint until smooth.
- Return the soup to a pot, stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Keep soup warm until ready to serve.
- Combine yogurt, lemon zest coriander and a pinch of salt.
- Dollop soup servings with 2 1/4 teaspoons yogurt mixture just before serving.