This 30-minute Shrimp, Peas and Rice dish is a family favorite dinner! It’s quick to cook and requires no chopping, easy prep!!
Shrimp, Peas and Rice
Last week I shared this Shrimp, Broccoli and Orzo dish. For those of you observing Lent, I thought I would share another quick 30-minute meal using shrimp! You can see more Lenten friendly recipes here.
This shrimp and rice dish always brings back memories of my childhood. My Dad used to make this with white rice and lots of grated cheese at the end, almost like a risotto, but not. My Dad used a lot more butter when he made it, but this lightened up version is just as delicious. The brown rice cooks in chicken broth giving it lots of flavor.
Tips and Variations:
- Quick Brown Rice: I used converted brown rice to speed this up, which took about 25 minutes for the rice to cook. You can also make if faster with a quicker cook brown rice, if so, follow the directions on the package.
- White Rice: If you prefer white fluffy rice, use long grain rice and follow package directions.
- Swap the peas out for frozen peas and carrots, broccoli or frozen chopped mixed vegetables.
- Shrimp Tip: Whenever shrimp is on sale, buy a pound or two and ask them for the frozen shrimp since all shrimp sold has been previously frozen and is thawed in the store, this way you can freeze it and use it only when you need it. Note, when weighing your shrimp, peel it first. With the skin on, 1-1/4 lbs usually yields 1 pound peeled.
What To Serve with Shrimp and Rice
How To Make Shrimp Peas and Rice
Best Shrimp Recipes For Dinner:
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Garlic Shrimp
- Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice
- Easy Roasted Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Shrimp, Peas and Rice
- In a large heavy skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the rice and saute about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and peas and bring to a boil. When just about all the liquid is absorbed just skimming the top of the rice, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook, covered on low heat 20 minutes, until rice is cooked through. Shut off and let stand covered 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in second large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and add to hot skillet. Cook about 2-3 minutes, until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add the 2 remaining teaspoons of olive oil to the skillet on high heat and add the cooked rice, shrimp, grated cheese and parsley and saute another minute or two to slightly crisp, mixing well.