Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, a healthier version of macaroni and cheese is so creamy and delicious, no one will ever guess it’s also good for you!
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
A few weeks ago I posted this Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese recipe that swapped out pasta for cauliflower. Today I bring you this guilt-free mac and cheese recipe. Giving you all the comfort of the classic dish, but with an extra heaping of nutrients.
Hey there, I’m Heather K. Jones—I’m a dietitian, the nutrition expert for the Skinnytaste cookbooks, and the founder of the weight and wellness program, Feel Better Eat Better. If you struggle with emotional eating or weight anxiety, be sure to check out my free Masterclass by clicking RIGHT HERE. You’ll find out the exact steps I teach my clients to create lasting success from the inside-out, even if they’ve tried everything.
This guilt-free mac and cheese gives you all the comfort of the classic dish, but with an extra heaping of nutrients. Made with whole-wheat noodles, three cheeses (Gruyere, cheddar and Parmesan), shallots, and lots of good-for-your-body butternut squash… it’s cozy, creamy AND nourishing! This is a new staple for me and my sisters. Just add a big green salad and you have the perfect anytime meal.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes You Will Love
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Greek Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Macaroni and Cheese Soup
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese8
- Olive oil spray
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound cubed butternut squash
- 10 ounces whole wheat elbow pasta
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped chives, optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9” x 11” glass baking dish with oil and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add squash and boil until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- When fork tender, transfer squash with a slotted spoon to a blender.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions. When cooked, drain and put back into the pot.
- Meanwhile, add ½ cup vegetable broth, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to taste to the blender with the squash. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the shallots and cook another minute.
- Add the remaining 1 cup broth and milk and whisk to combine. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Remove pot from heat and whisk in cheese, pureed squash, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper.
- Add sauce to noodles, gently mix to combine, then transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture and bake 25 minutes. Switch oven to high broil and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until crumbs are starting to brown.