Greek Mac and Cheese, a healthy twist on a comfort food classic made in a creamy cheese sauce with whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, spinach, olives and Feta cheese.
Greek Mac and Cheese
As we get closer to Fall, mornings and nights get cooler, I start craving more comfort food dishes. This mac and cheese puts a healthy, Greek spin on the classic. Loaded with vegetables and topped with feta and dill.
Made with Delallo’s 100% Organic Whole Wheat Elbow Pasta, the only brand of whole wheat pasta my family will eat (they also make the best jarred Pomodoro Sauce out there!). Prior to trying Delallo’s whole wheat pasta, I only cooked white pasta because no one liked the taste or texture of wheat pasta.
Tips and Variations
- This recipe is adaptable on taste and what you have on hand. If you don’t have fresh tomatoes, a small can of diced can be used in it’s place. It would also be great with some chopped jarred artichokes!
- You can prepare this ahead and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Leftovers can be frozen, to reheat, place it in a 350F oven covered in foil until heated through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
How To Make Greek Mac and Cheese
More Healthy Mac and Cheese recipes I love:
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with Roasted Veggies
- Macaroni and Cheese Soup with Broccoli
Greek Mac and Cheese
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces Delallo's 100% Organic Whole Wheat Elbow Past
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives chopped
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach chopped
- Fresh dill or parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add macaroni and boil until just under al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a deep casserole dish (roughly 8 ½ ” x 10 ½ ”) with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add red onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour over the top and stir, cooking 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the milk whisk until boiling.
- Remove from heat and add mozzarella and 1/3 of the feta. Stir until mostly melted.
- Add oregano, marjoram, pepper, diced tomatoes, olives and spinach. Stir to combine, add 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more as needed.
- Transfer everything to the casserole dish. Top with the remaining feta cheese.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until top golden. Garnish with dill or parsley.