If you are like me, and have so many tomatoes in your garden you don’t know what to do with, here is a great recipe for a slow roasted tomato sauce. Roasting the tomatoes brings out an intense flavor you cannot get otherwise. Roma tomatoes work best for this recipe.
Candied Tomato Sauce
- 12 ripe Roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- olive oil spray
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Slice tomatoes in half.
- Season with salt, basil, oregano and thyme.
- Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray and place tomatoes cut side up.
- Bake 2 hrs until skin gets wrinkled and crusty on the bottom and moist in the center.
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor.
- If it is too thick, you can thin with pasta water.
- Serve over your favorite high fiber pasta and grated cheese.