As the days get colder, warm up with a bowl of Chicken and Barley Soup, made with carrots, onions, celery, chicken breasts, and pearl barley.
Chicken Barley Soup
On those cold nights when I can’t seem to get the chill out of my bones, I love making soup. One of my favorite soups growing up was Beef Barley Soup, but this chicken version which is a bit lighter, is also delicious. I use chicken on the bone because it gives it even more flavor. It’s a soup my whole family loves and is a nice alternative to classic chicken noodle soup. For more of soup recipes, click here.
What are the benefits of eating barley?
I love the chewy texture of barley, which feels like pasta when you eat it. I use pearl barley in this soup, which cooks faster than hulled barley. Using barley in your chicken soup makes for a more nutritious dish than chicken noodle soup. Barley has a ton of fiber, which helps with weight loss and digestion. It also has some protein and vitamins and minerals, like B6, niacin, phosphorous, and selenium.
Do you have to cook barley before putting it in the soup?
No, you don’t need to cook the barley before adding it to the soup. The barley cooks right in the soup.
Meal Prep Tips:
This hearty chicken barley soup is great for meal prep since the leftovers are even better the next day. It takes a while to cook, so make it when you have more time and then eat the leftovers throughout the week. You can also freeze this soup in portions to eat later.
How to Freeze Chicken Barley Soup:
Freeze leftovers in individual containers or in one large container for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator for one or two days depending on the size and then reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
- If you can’t find barley, sub it with farro or quinoa as a gluten-free option. Pasta can also be used, adjust cook time as directed.
- If you have leftover rotisserie chicken you can use that instead.
More Chicken Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chicken Soup with Spinach and Acini Di Pepe
- Chicken and Avocado Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken and Lentil Soup
- Chicken Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
Chicken Barley Soup
- Heat a large heavy pot or dutch oven on medium heat. Add the oil, carrots, onion, celery and garlic to the pot and stir.
- Add chicken, broth, parsley, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer covered over low heat until the chicken and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred or cut the meat, discard the bones and return the chicken to the pot along with the barley, adjust the salt if needed and add fresh ground pepper. Simmer an additional 30 minutes, or until the barley is cooked.
- Discard the bay leaves and serve. Makes about 9 cups.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.