Chickpea Tomato Soup
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are loaded with nutrients such as fiber, protein and vitamins so it’s also a nourishing meal. Leftovers freeze well so it’s also a great make-ahead meal and perfect to pack for lunch on the go. I adore chickpeas and have been making this soup a lot, especially now that chickpeas are 0 Smart Points on the new Weight Watchers Freestyle plan! My husband on the other hand isn’t a fan of their texture, but he loves the soup!
How To Make Chickpea Tomato Soup
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
You can see more Soup Recipes here!
Chickpea Tomato Soup with Rosemary (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker and Stove Top)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth for vegetarians
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus extra optional for garnish
Crock Pot Version
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute until tender and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to the crock pot along with the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, parmesan cheese, and pepper. Add the rosemary, bay leaves and basil, cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- When done add the spinach. Remove bay leaves, rosemary sprig and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese if desired.
Stove Top Version
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute until tender and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, parmesan cheese, and pepper. Add the rosemary, basil and bay leaves, cover and cook on low 30 minutes. Add the spinach, cover and simmer until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, rosemary sprig, and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese if desired.
Instant Pot Version
- Follow same recipe as above except cook 15 minutes high pressure, natural release.