Braised Chicken Drumsticks in Tomatillo Sauce – an easy Mexican-inspired chicken dish made with just a few ingredients! Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or stove.
Braised Tomatillo Chicken Drumsticks
Some other chicken drumstick recipes you might like are Turmeric Braised Chicken with Golden Beets and Leeks, 5 Spice Roasted Chicken Legs, and Crockpot Maple Dijon Chicken Drumsticks.
The chicken comes out so tender it literally falls off the bone! Serve this over rice with a salad on the side (pictured here is my spiralized carrot salad) and call it a meal.
I’ve been getting lots of requests for more Instant Pot recipes, now that I am done with cookbook testing I will be adding more recipes here. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, no worries! I’ve included slow cooker directions too, but this can also be simmered, covered on low on the stove until the chicken is tender, about 35 to 40 minutes (you may have to add a little water).
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Easy Braised Chicken Drumsticks in Tomatillo Sauce (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or Stove Top)
- Season chicken with vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano. Marinate a few hours if time permits.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute, when hot add the oil and the chicken to brown on both sides, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Add the tomatillo salsa, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and jalapeno, cover and cook on high pressure 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender. When the pressure releases, garnish with cilantro and serve over rice if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Place ingredients in the slow cooker and cook low 6 hours or high 3 hours.
Stove Top Directions:
- Follow same directions, add a little water and cook covered on low until chicken is very tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- Asian Inspired Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Cinco De Mayo
- Dairy Free
- Dinner Ideas
- Egg Free Recipes
- Freezer Meals
- Gluten Free
- High Protein Recipes
- Instant Pot Recipes
- Latin Recipes
- Low Carb
- Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipes
- Under 30 Minutes
- Weight Watchers – WW Recipes
- Whole30 Recipes