Easy Pumpkin Spiced Granola made with oats, quinoa, maple, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, pecans, pepitas and dried cranberries.
Skinny Pumpkin Granola
Making your own granola is easier than you think, and the beauty of doing it yourself is you can customize it to suit your taste plus it’s so much cheaper than buying it in the store. A few other granolas I enjoy making are Low Fat Chewy Bars with Pecans Raisins and Chocolate, Morning Maple Cranberry Pecan Oat Bars and Banana Split Quinoa Bars.
Since pumpkin is so popular this time of year, I thought it would be fun to make a pumpkin version using oats, quinoa, maple, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, pecans, pepitas and dried cranberries.
Granola is great to eat alone as a snack, or over yogurt, but my favorite way to eat granola is with some fresh fruit and almond milk; it’s one of my favorite quick breakfasts.
The trick to keeping a bowl of granola cereal light is the ratio of fruit, milk and granola. First I fill my bowl with fresh fruit, then top it with 1/3 cup of granola and then some unsweetened almond milk. It’s a great way to get your serving of fresh fruit and has lots of fiber to keep you feeling full longer. I’ve included the nutritional info both ways, for your convenience.
Easy Pumpkin Spice Granola
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and pat dry with paper towel
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats*
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup pepitas, or other seed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup, or honey
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp oil, coconut or canola
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Spread oats* and quinoa out on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Toast in the oven 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove the oats from the oven, pour the toasted oats into a medium bowl and add the ground flaxseeds, pepitas, pecans and dried fruit.
- Reduce oven to 300° F.
- In a second medium bowl, combine maple syrup, pumpkin puree, oil, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt and vanilla.
- Pour over oats and stir together with a spatula.
- Spread back onto a baking sheet and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until golden.